Emma Lees

Career Development & Employability PG Dip (Distance Learning)

Hello, my name is Emma and I recently completed an online Postgraduate Diploma (PG Dip) in Career Development & Employability at the University of Huddersfield.  

I undertook Career Development and Employability Postgraduate Diploma whilst working as an Employer Engagement Consultant at Arden University. I chose this course because I knew it had the potential to open more doors for me in terms of career opportunities. I undertook thorough research to make sure it was the best choice for me. For example, I contacted the Course Leader via LinkedIn and set up a call to discuss the course and my suitability. I also reached out to alumni. I looked at the LinkedIn profiles of the University of Huddersfield’s academics to check their qualifications and experience. Call it a series of due diligence checks, but I was very happy with my findings. I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience and I certainly recommend the qualification to others who want to improve their skills and knowledge in this sector and stand out in the job market. In this blog, I am going to share my five top reasons for studying, enjoying, and completing an online postgraduate degree at the University of Huddersfield.

1. Completing an online course gave me the flexibility to learn while working and caring  

I chose to study online as I work full-time and have two school-age children. I could fit it around my personal and professional commitments. The online degree was very flexible - I could log on easily at home or work, complete work on time, catch up on lessons, read learning materials, and attend events asynchronously. I work full time during the day, and my children don't go to bed until 8/9 p.m., so I did my reading and assignments at the weekend or in the evenings. Studying while working full time and raising a family can be challenging as it requires lots of juggling and multitasking, but if you're organised, committed, and keep the end goal in sight, you can succeed. Because the course was online, I didn't need to live near the University and travel to in-person lessons.

A student studying at work. A student studying at work.

2. The academics were incredibly supportive

I was impressed with the calibre of all the academics that delivered the teaching on my degree. Their experience, knowledge, and enthusiasm were excellent. They were also supportive. Emails were responded to swiftly, and support was always available if needed. You could also arrange one-to-one telephone or video calls with the academics for further guidance. Staff at the University were approachable and could give you some steer on assignment content if you felt you needed it. Feedback on assignments was prompt and valuable, meaning I got the most out of the course and excelled in my assessments.

3. The course content was varied and engaging 

I found the course very engaging and interesting. The material was always varied, up-to-date, and contained the right balance of theory and practical activities. The course offered a good mixture of teaching and learning methods, such as presentations from guest speakers, lectures, tutorials, individual reading, and active learning via break-out rooms and discussion with others on the course. The degree was delivered via a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), called Brightspace. As for assignments, the course was assessed through coursework and there were no timed tests or exams. 

A student studying at home. A student studying at home.

4)    The qualification enhanced my career prospects  

Completing a postgraduate qualification in careers guidance has given me an excellent understanding of the higher education careers landscape. It enabled me to feel confident and adept at structuring and carrying out competent careers guidance and career education, be that one-to-one or in a group setting. The Career Development Institute (CDI) Code of Ethics is now engrained in my practice ensuring that I offer the highest standards of professional behaviour in my work. I believe this online qualification has enhanced my professional development and employability - opening doors in my career that may not have been open before.

5. I grew my professional network 

Finally, I was able to build a strong professional network from my course - not just with the academics who taught me, but with other working professionals in the careers guidance sector. I met people from up and down the country who work in similar professions and share aspirations. We could exchange ideas, talk about our experiences, and offer each other support. We created a class WhatsApp group where we could give one another encouragement and support – which was helpful and valuable, especially as deadlines got closer. This network might also provide future career opportunities.

An online meeting between a student and academic. An online meeting between a student and academic.

To conclude  

Studying a postgraduate course on a distance learning (online) basis meant that I could choose the most suitable degree for me as I didn't need to take location into account. Completing an online course gave me the flexibility to study while working full-time and having family commitments. It was taught by supportive academics with a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and the course content was always engaging as it was varied and well put together. The degree enabled me to feel more confident in my abilities, build a strong professional network, and enhance my career prospects. I have already been applying my new skills and knowledge to my work, and I'm very excited to see where my career takes me.  

Learn more about our postgraduate Career Development and Employability course on our course page.