Posted by on July 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm

We are pleased to share the following guest blog with you, written by Katie Mallinson of Scriba PR:

You spend your entire working week (and then some) putting your professional skills to good use. But how many people utilise the talents they hone ‘on the job’, to achieve something worthwhile in their personal life?

It is only recently that I thought about the number of things I do in the world of Public Relations, that would stand me in good stead to organise and manage a charity event. And since making the decision to get cracking with my idea, I’ve been inundated with offers of support from other businessmen and women, who also want to get involved.

My brainwave was to plan a family fun day to raise money for Lifeblood – the thrombosis charity. Having being diagnosed with a serious blood clot back in March, this charity now lies very close to my heart. As the weeks have passed I’ve grown to realise just how common venous thromboembolisms (or VTE) are, and how frequently they are missed, misdiagnosed or mistreated, often with devastating consequences. Almost 500,000 deaths are caused by VTE in Europe every year – a statistic that shocked me to the core. It is clear how much work is needed in this field.

Of course I’m under no illusion that a one-day fundraising drive in Huddersfield is going to solve this medical crisis over night. But by building awareness and trying to fill the coffers as much as possible, my thinking was that we might just make a little bit of difference.

So the wheels are now in motion. Ten teams of local football fanatics – plus some young chaps who just want to don a fancy dress outfit – are set to take part in a 5-a-side tournament at Soccer City, Huddersfield, on Sunday 17th August. And supporters and non-players will be able to wander around a series of stalls that will be set up near the pitch viewing gallery, to enjoy cakes baked by Huddersfield residents, face painting, nail painting, games and much more. Local businesses have dug deep to donate some fantastic raffle prizes including: a television from Ti Installations, a tent from The Lazy Camper, a food hamper courtesy of The Yorkshire Times, Temple Spa beauty products, goodies from Design by Stephanie Jayne, plus vouchers from Concepts Beauty, 1885 the restaurant, Saffron Indian Restaurant, Cannon Hall Farm, Peel One wine bar, Flying Saucers Pottery Café, Beauty by Sarah Jane, Total Hand Car Wash and Rubies Hairdressing.

But the generosity does not stop there. One of my clients UNTHA UK has kindly sponsored the hire of the 5-a-side pitches, meaning every penny of the teams’ entry fees will go to Lifeblood. And Leeds-based design specialists Punch Creative are hard at work producing some posters for the day so that people know what’s going on and how they can donate.

It just goes to show that yes we can easily get swept along from one week to the next being incredibly busy during our working lives. But there is something incredibly rewarding about taking a step back and finding a little extra time to help a very worthwhile cause, using the skills we deploy without even thinking, on a daily basis.

My fundraising target for the day is £700. Only time will tell if we hit that figure, but we’re certainly having fun trying!

Everyone is invited to come and watch the 5-a-side tournament, and enjoy the other fundraising activities that are planned for the day. We would love to see you there. If you cannot attend the event but would like to make a donation to this worthwhile cause, you can do so by visiting www.justgiving.com/katie-mallinson. All contributions would be gratefully received.

Posted in Uncategorized

Comments