Posted by on May 22, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Name: Rebecca Ennis

Course: Sociology BSc (Hons)

Year of graduation: 2012

Current job role: Teacher of Psychology and Sociology, The Mirfield Free Grammar School and Sixth Form

Rebecca Ennis

Rebecca Ennis, a graduate of the Progression Module and the University of Huddersfield, is now a tutor delivering the Module back in the very school where she completed it. In this case study Rebecca explains the benefits of going full circle with the Progression Module.

As a former Year 12 student at Mirfield Free Grammar, I started the Progression Module in 2008 as part of my sixth form tutorial programme. The Module was invaluable to me and I’m really glad I had the opportunity to study it. For me the value was not so much in the UCAS points but more in the preparation for university by equipping me with vital life skills.

The most valuable aspect was finance and budgeting (Unit 3). Never having had any responsibility for large sums of money before, I wasn’t aware of how to budget and this really helped me. Unit One was also really useful to me and to this very day I still use my Progression Module CV. Although I have updated and developed it over time, the original foundations are still the same. Having this solid foundation has helped me be confident and successful in numerous interviews.

As a University of Huddersfield student, my sociology degree was everything I hoped it would be. The best thing about my course was the staff – being taught by sociology experts increased my subject knowledge and I truly felt that I was being taught by some of the best lecturers in the field. Since I graduated, the University has gone from strength to strength, winning many prestigious awards. In terms of my own career progression this has no doubt helped me because the University is well regarded not just regionally, but nationally and employers are impressed when they see the University of Huddersfield on your CV.

In my new teaching role it’s very surreal to be delivering the Progression Module, especially after having studied it myself. But having this first hand experience has given me an insight into the student perspective and this can only improve my ability to teach the Module. Many of my students will benefit greatly from having the extra 30 UCAS points in securing offers from local universities. For some of them, I also think Unit 2 has made them more open minded in terms of the universities they are considering. Since starting the course and having had the chance to research this, many of their views have changed and they are now considering options further afield. In addition, having the opportunity to deliver a presentation has been extremely useful to my students as most of them have had very little experience in presenting to large audiences. This has enhanced their communication skills and confidence greatly.

Posted in Uncategorized Tagged in:

1. Gill Coker says:

Hi there Rebecca, could you tell me more about the Progression Module? Who offers it? is it just a local initiative for Huddersfield students? I am very interested in learning more about this to support students into H.E.

2. Rebecca says:

Thank you Tracey!! I really cannot thank you enough for all the support you gave me during my undergraduate years. There were some really tough times where I thought I might not reach my potential but you really coached me through this. Never in a million years did I think I would achieve my ambition! Thank you so much :)

3. Tracey Yeadon-Lee says:

Well done Rebecca, it’s really nice to hear about what you’re up to and it all sounds great :)