Telling the story of Lacrosse

Monday 26th June, 1876: a fine, sunny day. In the grounds of Windsor Castle, Queen Victoria settled to watch a game between two touring sides from Canada. The sport was lacrosse (then known as ‘la crosse’) and the Queen watched with interest. On the field were 14 Canadians and 13 representatives of the Iroquois Nation, the imbalance accounted for by the presence of Dr William George Beers, the Montreal dentist who had written the modern rules of the game. In her private journal, the Queen recalled her encounter with the Iroquois: Continue reading

Lest we forget

My name is Joe Hopkinson, I am a second year student of History at The University of Huddersfield and through the excellent work placements module run on my course I have been able to work on a local history project that will commemorate the centenary of the First World War. My part of the project has focused on researching the history of Dewsbury through a local weekly newspaper called the Dewsbury Reporter. Continue reading

Mining memorials in County Durham

PhD student, Vanessa Morrell tells us more about her research:

A large part of my research has been collecting memorials to coalminers in Durham, the Dunkirk Evacuation and Captain Scott then compiling them on a database. The collection has taken me around the United Kingdom from Dundee to Devon and from Cambridge to Cardiff. The database of coalmining memorials, unlike the more martial memorials of Scott and Dunkirk has represented an entirely new area of research. Continue reading

Florence Lockwood, Colne Valley pacifist and suffragist

Banner created by Florence. Courtesy of Kirklees Image Archive

My name is Adam West and I currently study history at the University of Huddersfield as an undergraduate. As part of my second year I undertook a module, titled ‘Hands on History’, which involved creating an exhibition board highlighting Huddersfield’s rich history. With the help of our tutor, Dr Janette Martin, two other students and I decided that for the board we would focus on a character from the First World War, Florence Lockwood of Linthwaite. Continue reading

Siobhan Donnelly tells us about her work placement

Siobhan is a second year English and Creative Writing student.

Day 1

I won’t deny that as I walked into town for my first day working on the England Arise project, I was very nervous. I knew very little about the project, other than it was a play based on historian Cyril Pearce’s book Comrades in Conscience and focusing primarily on the life of Arthur Gardiner. And I had no idea what my role would involve. Continue reading

Steven uncovers more on the University’s history during WW1

25/2/14: History Blog 3 – Literature and History: Uncovering the University’s role in the First World War.

My name is Steven Jackson and I am currently halfway through my twelve week internship, in the School of Music, Humanities and Media. One of the tasks I have been given, during my internship, is to research what was happening at the University, around the time of the First World War. As I am an English Literature graduate, and I have not got much academic History experience, I have been aided in my quest for knowledge by Dr. Daryl Leeworthy, Dr. Rebecca Gill and the Archives department. Continue reading

Empire, Faith and War: Sikhs in World War One

Image courtsey of  www.SikhMuseum.com

I am Amerdeep Singh Panesar a second year student studying History and Politics at the University of Huddersfield. With the World War I centenary coming up soon many projects are running to commemorate the different aspects of the war. I have got involved in the Empire, Faith and War project. The projects aim is to look at Sikhs in World War I. Continue reading

A trip to the British Library

Elizabeth Pente and Emma Levitt tells us about their research adventures

As a PhD student, conducting research can be one of the most exciting and at times frustrating parts of the thesis process.  Not only do you have to find relevant collections, but learn how to access them – and occasionally, even once found the materials could be restricted.  This is why when I learned that the British Library was hosting an event on their collections, how to access them, and to meet members of their staff I jumped at the opportunity. Continue reading