Posted by on March 9, 2017 at 4:28 pm

This page will describe the experience of research and writing about JH Whitley and his chairmanship of the Royal Commission on Labour in India. It’s under construction at the moment. Please come back later.

Posted in Uncategorized

Posted by on at 4:27 pm

Page under construction: please come back later

Posted in Uncategorized

Posted by on February 28, 2017 at 7:48 am

To book for this event click here John Shepherd, visiting professor at the University of Huddersfield, writes: ‘One of the senior thinkers and strategists in British politics with a deep knowledge of Labour history, Jon Cruddas is a popular speaker on the media and at public events in Britain. On 26 February 2017, he appeared

Read more…

Posted in Twentieth Century Britain Tagged in: ,

Posted by on January 9, 2017 at 12:11 pm

“Transatlantic Digital Victorians” is an exciting collaborative student/faculty research project between the University of Huddersfield and Huron University College in Ontario, Canada. The project demonstrates how digital history can build bridges between local history and the wider world, as well as help create undergraduate research links between our universities. It was designed for students to add

Read more…

Posted in Co-production of research internationalisation Students as researcher

Posted by on December 6, 2016 at 6:11 pm

By Dr Lindsey Dodd, Senior Lecturer in Modern European History During October and November 2016 I travelled around France, collecting historical source material about children’s lives in France during the Second World War. The source material is quite unusual: I have been seeking out and listening to filmed and audio oral history-type interviews

Read more…

Posted in history of childhood internationalisation Methodologies Oral history Second World War Tagged in: , , ,

Posted by on November 16, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Professor Barry Doyle was awarded a grant by the University Research Fund to assess the current state of research into hospital services in interwar Central Europe and explore the archival resources available for future research. As the project gets under way he tells us about his recent visits to Hungary, the Czech Republic and Poland.

Read more…

Posted in Uncategorized

Posted by on September 28, 2016 at 9:48 am

Dr Rebecca Gill Our project “Adult Education and the Great War in Yorkshire: A Community History Project” drew to a close last Friday with a final workshop “Child Labour in the Great War – A Local History”, held at the University of Leeds and led by W.E.A. family historian Jackie Depelle and historian of childhood

Read more…

Posted in Uncategorized

Posted by on September 12, 2016 at 8:08 am

I arrived in Budapest completely unaware as to what I should expect. I saw it as a positive, as I was in a country I’d never visited and whose culture was completely alien to me. On arrival I attempted to be as open minded and objective as possible, taking in all of my surroundings, as

Read more…

Posted in Uncategorized

Posted by on August 24, 2016 at 11:26 am

My name is Grace Chapman and I am currently a second year history student undertaking a work experience placement at the York Archaeological Trust (YAT) with my main responsibilities being at Jorvik. Boxing Day 2015 brought floods to the City of York, causing the Jorvik centre, arguably the biggest medieval attraction in the country, to

Read more…

Posted in Uncategorized

Posted by on July 3, 2016 at 3:57 pm

The Dispersal Policy: Circular 7/65, 1965 proclaimed that: About one-third of immigrant children is the maximum that is normally acceptable in a school if social strains are to be avoided and educational standards maintained. Local Education Authorities are advised to arrange for the dispersal of immigrant children over a greater number of schools in order

Read more…

Posted in digital history Oral history PhD students Twentieth Century Britain