Tom Williams

Investigative Psychology MSc

Hi, my name’s Tom and I’m a PhD student at the University of Huddersfield. I also completed my undergraduate degree in Psychology and a Master’s in Investigative Psychology at Huddersfield.

As I near the end of my PhD, I look back on my time as a student at Huddersfield. The Investigative Psychology MSc offered an in-depth understanding of Investigative Psychology, emphasising research skills and equipping me to pursue a PhD. Within this blog, I delve into my favourite aspects of studying Investigative Psychology MSc, my journey of discovering a passion for research, and the significant impact of the Master’s degree on my career path. 

1) Investigative Psychology is an incredibly interesting subject area  

Deciding whether to do a postgraduate degree when I was nearing the end of my undergraduate course came down to asking myself what I wanted from the future - a deep question! I reflected on my interests and where my enjoyment came from, which quickly led to the conclusion that my time studying was not over just yet. All answers echoed the same sentiment that what I enjoyed most was exploring questions, quelching endless curiosity. So where else to do that best than at the University of Huddersfield?  

The moment I decided to apply for a psychology postgraduate course, I was instantly engulfed by Investigative Psychology after the first lecture during my undergraduate degree, so the decision to apply for the Investigate Psychology MSc was instantaneous and seemed logical. It wasn’t just the interest in learning about the analysis of criminal behaviour that sealed the deal, as for someone who has always preferred practice over theory, it melded together the perfect balance of research curiosity and real-life application. Seeing behind the curtain of research and watching it applied to real criminal cases sparked a curiosity within me that propelled me to not only take on the MSc but pursue a research career too (although I didn’t know this until I completed my MSc). 

2) The course is taught by highly-qualified Psychology academics who are research-active  

Over the year that I was doing the Master’s, my curiosity grew with each lecture and workshop. The whole experience was enhanced by the passion and care of the academic staff, who allowed us to explore numerous niche topics within the discipline while further developing our investigative dexterity. Naturally, I waded deep in over my head, but this was encouraged by the staff, shown most prominently by the freedom we were allowed when it came to assignment topics, allowing us to chew on subjects that intrigued our curiosities. Students were able to explore topics and areas that piqued their interests. This was valuable not just for the overall enjoyment of the course but also subtly helping with future decisions such as what research areas to explore should you decide to undertake a doctorate and continue your research journey.  

Tom reading a book in the library

3) Huddersfield offers excellent student support 

Where the teaching elements of the course highlighted the holistic excellence of the course, the individual student support provided stability. The staff were always quick and helpful in their responses whether answering a question about something I revisited after a lecture or arranging a meeting to talk an assignment through. When life and assignments collided and time started burning at both ends, the staff were excellent at handling these moments with reassurance and guidance. Everyone needs a helping hand at some point, and my supervisors (Dr Calli Tzani & Professor Maria Ioannou), were quintessential in providing a supportive environment, so much so that when deciding who I wanted to supervise me for the doctorate, it was once again as instantaneous as taking the course initially. 

4) The MSc prepares you for a PhD and careers outside academia 

Adoring the research side of both my undergraduate degree and the MSc, deciding to do a PhD felt once again as instantaneous as deciding to do the Investigative Psychology MSc. Something I have noticed abundantly during my time doing the doctorate is the transferable skills I obtained from the MSc. Elements of the MSc, such as working independently, burrowing deep into research and utilisation of statistical software, all paved the way for a smooth transition and ease of change when taking that next step to the doctorate level. Additionally, that freedom of exploration allowed me to find the area of Investigative Psychology I was infinitely interested and passionate about, making the process of deciding what to research for my doctorate much smoother than if I had come straight from undergraduate with curiosity but no specific direction.  

Take a look at this blog by Professor Maria Ioannou to learn about careers in Investigative Psychology. 

Tom smiling

Now and after 

Looking back on the experience, the freedom of curiosity allowed and the support from the staff during my time on the Investigate Psychology MSc is what I owe any current and future success to. Without taking the Master’s in Investigative Psychology, I may have never known that I was passionate about research and that there was a career in it. Anyone reading this who is considering taking the Investigate Psychology course or any other postgraduate course, I would highly recommend doing it - not just for the additional qualification but for the experience of exploring your interests, learning more about yourself, and developing valuable skills you can take onto the next chapter of your life – whatever your career goals. 

To learn more about our Investigative Psychology MSc, please visit: Investigative Psychology MSc (Distance Learning) (hud.ac.uk) 

If you have any questions about our Investigative Psychology Master’s, please submit an enquiry here.

To find out about careers in Investigative Psychology, read Professor Maria Ioannou's blog. You can also hear directly from Professor David Canter on the creation of Investigative Psychology in an exclusive interview